Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentines!!

I was talking to my friend Jen the other day and asked her if she was doing anything for Valentines with her husband. She said that they did normally go out, but not necessarily ON Valentines and that they agree not to get each other presents. She then said last year this was the plan, but then she got mad because he didn't get her anything. I wasn't confused at all, in fact I started laughing. I love that my friend Nina's husband, now that he is not working and no longer has an assistant, called HER to ask for the number of a florist. I think she gave it to him.

As I tell my husband all of the time, I don't care what you get me, it doesn't have to cost anything, just put thought into it. It has taken many years, but he seems to finally be getting it. Last week he told me I should get a haircut. I responded that I should also get a pedicure, but we have a lot of bills to pay this month, so the haircut can wait. Last Friday I received a text telling me to get my butt down to the salon after class- they were waiting for me. He had set up a haircut for me. He is having the week from hell at work and he took the time to do this. I accepted it graciously and enjoyed every minute of it.

My grandmother, God rest her soul, was wonderful at giving gifts and horrible at receiving them. She would always tell us to save our money, that she didn't need anything. One Thanksgiving my sister gave her a present and I think she actually told her to take it back. This was too much for me and I leaned in and held my grandmother's hands. I told her that we loved her so much and that she needed to accept our gifts as graciously as she gave hers. These gifts are given in love, please accept them with love.

When a gift is given with love, whether it is a diamond necklace or a compliment, its value is beyond measure. When one receives a gift with love and grace the same is true. We have to practice doing both. How can you practice loving someone? you might ask.....well practice loving UNCONDITIONALLY. Love when it is not easy. If you can't say it, write it down. PRACTICE showing it more and you will.

And if your husband asks for the name of a florist, smile and give it to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment