Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Company You Keep....

I was cooking last weekend for friends at my home. I LOVE to cook and cooking for friends is absolutely one of my most favorite things to do. I used to cook for a living, but once I started having babies, working weekends and evenings was no longer in the cards. So now I am content to cook at home for family and friends. I have a dear friend Maria who trained and worked as a chef and occasionally she and I will plan an extravagant dinner just to dust off old skills and play ideas off of each other.

At this particular dinner party I had two of my dear friends Brian Lewis and his lovely wife Dana.  My friend Melissa (who was coming to dinner) asked me if I was nervous to cook for Brian. The reason being...Brian is a world- class, well known chef about to open his own restaurant. My answer: "No." I then stated, "It's Brian."

Now the reason I say this is because Brian is in a word, gracious. He has more talent in his little finger than I do in my entire body and he has work experience that is in a word...amazing. (Seriously, look up the dude's bio.) Brian walked into my home thrilled to be there, eager to eat and happy to help.  He loved everything I made, was very complimentary and let me say this, if you are doing a dinner party, it is nice to have a high caliber sous-chef at your side. After we ate, he even helped my husband do the dishes.

When you surround yourself with those who are coming from a place of grace, your life will be much more full. I am not talking about surrounding yourself with sycophants who will agree with everything you say (or compliment everything you cook). I am talking about people who see the beauty and flavor in things rather than looking to criticize.

Whether I am cooking for a top chef or teaching an amazing teacher, I have to realize that their own experience will be colored not just by what I bring to the table (or the mat), but by what their own attitude is towards the offering. Passion for what we love and experience should come from a heartfelt place.

If you you walk in expecting grace, you usually won't be disappointed. If you surround yourself with others who feel the same way, that grace radiates. Brian sent me a text the next day telling me that I shined. I have carried that compliment with me for days and even talked about it in meditation. That compliment came from an authentic heartfelt place and I felt it. I have been more conscious of complimenting others from a heartfelt place because of it.

Chef Brian Lewis will be opening his restaurant Elm in New Canaan. The website is here: www.elmrestaurant.com. I am lucky to have Brian's friendship (and Dana's xxoo) not only because he is an amazing chef, but because, he is a gracious friend.

You are the company you keep, so keep good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment