Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Voluntary Solitary

I am very good at being alone. It is not often that it happens, so when it does, I savor it as fully as I can. It is comparable to taking a small vacation from my daily experience. It usually means me on my bed- reading.

I used to feel guilty about spending my time in what seemed to be a "wasteful" manner. Everyone is out of the house, shouldn't I be doing something more productive? Laundry? Cleaning? Cooking? Re-Arranging furniture? Was it wrong to want to lie down with a book for an hour?

When I became a yoga teacher I felt guilty if I wasn't reading ancient Hindu texts, studying anatomy, reading anything; EVERYTHING to further my studies when I had a moment to spare. My children were very young at the time, so alone time was even rarer than it is now. If everyone was occupied elsewhere, shouldn't I be nose deep in the Bhagavad Gita? 

I know Yoga teachers who read nothing but sacred texts, books ABOUT sacred texts and books about THOSE books. I admit, I am slightly jealous of their admirable focus. I, personally, want to read Entertainment Weekly once in awhile. Does that make me a lesser teacher?

How you spend your alone time, in my opinion, should be a treat. If that means doing the above- fantastic. Sometimes I take great pleasure in reading things that enrich my spirit and challenge my inner being. Sometimes I want to read the New York Times. Sometimes only US magazine will do.  The point is- this is my time to be still. 

Where do you find stillness in your life?




No comments:

Post a Comment